Sunday, March 6, 2011

Washington DC

As some of you know, I haven't made it to the Dominican Republic yet.  I was supposed to spend a day in Washington DC in training with the rest of the PCVs (Peace Corps Volunteers), and fly to the DR on Wednesday.  However, I caught a virus and was throwing up while the others were training, and I spent Wednesday sleeping off the illness instead of flying out.  Then, with doctors appointments, waiting for lab results, trying to get the right information to the right people, and not wanting to arrive on the weekend, my arrival in the DR was pushed back to Monday, March 7.
It could have been worse, though.  I recovered pretty quickly, so I ended up having a good chance to see the sights of DC.

My favorite was the Washington Monument.  It surprised me: I've seen pictures, and it's just a big pointy tower.  What the pictures can't capture is just how big it is.  You can see it from almost anywhere in DC.
 
Here's the Monument from several blocks away.
Here's the Monument from close up.  As you could see, it's not easy to fit all of it in one picture.
 I also visited the WWII war memorial;
WWII Memorial
The Lincoln Memorial (this was another cool one.  Pictures just can't capture the size.);

Honest Abe himself.
The Korean War Memorial;

 The FDR Memorial;
 The Jefferson Memorial;
 and the Vietnam War Memorial.
To be honest, I don't want to see any more memorials for a while.  The start to be a lot less meaningful after you see five or six.

-Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment