Friday, April 12, 2013

Higüey

My aunt and uncle are here in the DR on vacation, and I took a trip out to see them today. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of them, but if you don't know them, it doesn't matter, and if you do know them, you've already seen them.

Besides getting a nice lunch at the Hard Rock Café (oh, yeah, and seeing those relatives...hi Aunt Karen and Uncle Dean!), I took the opportunity to visit the eastern city of Higüey. Specifically, I visited the Basílica Catedral Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia. I haven't made a point to see many tourist destinations, but this was one I'd been meaning to check out, mainly because it's a church and not just a spot for tourists.

 

As you can see, it has a modernist style, something that's often disastrous for a church, but it manages (especially inside) to pull it off while still having majesty and solemnity. I was repeatedly reminded of the principle of Catholic architecture drawing your gaze upward toward heaven.

 
It was surrounded by a beautiful and very well-kept park of palm trees, some of which you can see here. On the other side is a museum dedicated to the Basilica and to La Virgen de la Altagracia (the Virgin of High Grace), which is the title of Mary as patron saint of the Dominican Republic.

 

When I went to catch a bus home, I noticed street vendors selling something I'd never seen before, so I bought a bottle.


I was a little nervous when I read the label, because 'chicharrones' are deep-fried pig skin, and leche is milk. Chunks of pork floating in milk doesn't sound appetizing or sanitary when sold on plastic jars on the side of the road.
 

While chewing on the first one, I looked it up and confirmed that it doesn't pork (or any meat for that matter). They're a type of cheese curd floating in a light syrup, and as far as I know, they're local to Higüey. They're not bad, try it if you get the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment